Mount John, New Zealand South Island

If I could
have one more chance
to hold you in my arms

On top of the world
where earth meets sky
where clouds soar away in mindless flight
leaving skies in reflection blue
dizzying down to the azure lake

As I gasp in awe
of the endless mountain range
we are buried deep in our thoughts
beneath the snow
beneath the frosty covered layers of ice
there lies a small golden flower
that gives me hope

If I could
you know I would

                     - Mount John, 10 July 2017



South Island (6D)
Christchurch - Lake Tekapo/Mount John - Wanaka - Milford Sound - Queenstown

Mount John University Observatory, Lake Tekapo, New Zealand South Island

I was not prepared for this view at all. 

As our car drove up the winding, narrow, private access road, I felt the familiar feeling of panic sweep over me. I always panic whenever we travel up really steep inclines. I worry that the gears or something might fail, and we might slip and fall, arms and legs flailing, over the snowy banks and lie mangled and crushed in the ice below. But I shook away my morbid thoughts and moments later, we were standing at the top of Mount John, peering over its snowy depths. 

The view was outstanding. The snow-capped mountains extended as far as the eye could see, while lakes of azure blue lay at our feet. Lake Alexandrina to the left; and Lake Tekapo on our right. That blue, oh it was like opening a Tiffany box and finding it filled with glittering diamonds inside. The winter here did not feel stark and bitter. In contrast, it felt so warm and soft and cottony, like someone had placed an Instagram bubble filter over all of this world. Ethereal and peaceful, like something out-of-this-world. Like I could float away in a dream.     

We spent about an hour and half in this otherworldly realm. Leo recovering from being snow-blinded from the drive, Hayley took a dump (everywhere, even at this highest point), father mother hopping everywhere to take self-portraits, and me, floating in the air. And coming back down to earth for a piping hot chocolate.

"Earth and Sky. Astro Cafe - quite possibly one of the planet's best locations for a cafe."

I find myself wondering whether I'll possibly be back again to this place. I hope so, but I regretfully don't think so, as there'll always be new places to explore. Maybe only to see Jupiter and its four moons. 

Mount Cook and the glaciers - I'll go there next time.


Related links:
https://xweing.blogspot.com/2017/08/nz-trip.html

Comments

Popular Posts