Sauna

Last weekend when I went back to Ipoh, my mom commented that my face looked dark and dreary. Weird, since I'm in love, I'm supposed to look pink and flushed. Expected, because I know I ate a lot of unhealthy food throughout the whole week. Really, 生日,乃暴饮暴食之日也。 I also did not get enough sleep on Thursday night because I had to work late as well as wake up early for my 7 o'clock meeting the next morning.

So mom and I went for a sauna at the club for a detox session.

From Wikipedia: "Steambaths and saunas induce perspiring to provide a comprehensive cleansing of the skin and sweat glands. Skin is the largest organ in the body. 30% of body wastes are passed through the skin. Profuse sweating enhances the detoxifying capacity of the skin by opening pores and flushing impurities from the body."

I spent 5 minutes in the hot jacuzzi, then stepped into the sauna. I poured a bucket of water on the hot stones and watched the steam sizzle out. Mom came in, and we chatted for a while. After 5 mins, I told her I couldn't really take the heat anymore so I stepped out and went into the steam room for another 5 mins, then stepped out to take a shower. Then I saw stars and felt my head throbbing with pain. I quickly grabbed a towel and rushed to the rest area to lie down. This is the second time I almost fainted in the shower. The first time, I really fainted and mom had to help me out and wrap me in a towel then rest me on a bench.

From Wikipedia: "Saunas can be dangerous. Heat prostration or the even more serious hyperthermia (heat stroke) can result. A cool shower or plunge afterwards always results in a great increase in blood pressure, so careful moderation is advised for those with a history of stroke or hypertension (high blood pressure). A good practice is to take a few moments after exiting a sauna before entering a cold plunge, and to enter a cold plunge by stepping into it gradually, rather than immediately immersing fully."

I don't know why I'm so prone to fainting after a sauna. I don't have hypertension and I do exercise every week. Mom says it might be because I'm supposed to take a cold shower but I took a hot one. Anyways, she's really worried that I've got all these fainting spells so she gave me many many fruits and a box of Eu Yan Sang's Chicken Essence to bring back to Penang.

But after the detox session I really felt my face clear up and glow again. Now, if only I could continue exercising and eating healthily for the rest of this week...



Me and mom after our detox session. Do pardon my unkempt hair though... I almost fainted!

Bin, dad and me :)

Comments

libelly said…
I have the same problem as yours, will see stars after jacuzzi, there was 1 time I fainted on the floor too.
Anonymous said…
Your mummy so sayang you leh... Can share the chicken essence and fruits or not? hahahah :)

I look very pale too. Maybe i need sauna as well :)

Popular Posts