Tape-in celebration: Rasa Sayang Mediterranean Buffet

'Ambience' - Spice Market Cafe, Shangri-la Rasa Sayang Resort

Yesterday, our company was so good to treat us to a buffet dinner at Shangri-la Rasa Sayang Resort as our project tape-in celebration. I was so excited the whole day about the dinner as it would be my first time to sample it. And I hadn't been to a buffet for a few months already...

However, the first thing that came to mind after I walked into the buffet hall and looked at all the food was: "Where are the lobsters???!?" Needless to say, it was kinda disappointing for all of us first-timers as we were expecting much, much more from all the fanfare we had heard about the Rasa Sayang buffet.

There were no lobsters, no crayfish, no scallops, no delicious lamb chop, no char koay teow and totally no sashimi cos the SUSHI BAR WAS CLOSED!! In fact, the buffet paled in comparison to our marvellous experiences at the E&O buffet. After much bemusement, It was a great revealation when one of my colleagues explained to me that the theme was actually 'Mediterranean food' that night, hence the lack of seafood. :-(

You must be wondering why I didn't take any pictures of the food. Well my boss said that people usually come here for the ambience and not the food... so, there you have it on top, a picture of the 'ambience' from where I was seated. Notice the slow-turning fans... it was hot!!... because we sat outside due to the lack of dining tables in the air-conditioned hall.

I had 4 servings of the food (can view menu here):

1st serving - MEAT! satay, chicken tandoori, beef steak, fried softshell crab, etc.
2nd serving - soba in herbal black chicken soup with 'abalone' slices, meatball, needle mushrooms, black fungus and bean sprouts
3rd serving - finally, a clam, one more stick of satay and a little bit of rice
4th serving - watermelon, deserts, little cakes and strawberries and marshmellows dipped in chocolate from the chocolate fountain. I claim the devil's food to be very very decadent and chocolately though :-)
5th serving - 2 scoops of coffee/vanilla icecream doused with biscuit pieces and raisins and stuff. I didn't manage to finish it.

We took a walk in the hotel gardens to let our stomachs digest the food. It was GORGEOUS at night with all the spotlights on and the huge, towering, leafy trees and the splashing sound of the waves... I wish Leonard were there walking beside me.

All in all, it would suffice to say that I had a happy time, albeit a tad disappointed, but still thankful for the opportunity to visit the buffet at Rasa Sayang.

Comments

pik lay said…
I had my buffert yesterdat and the same comment on the food. Nothing special, just a little higher grading than nasi kandar. Luckily we sat inside the restaurant in air conditioned.
really? Went there once it's was great experience with lobster, sashimi, oyster and much much more~~!! The dinner was wonderful but just 1 thing, was having stomachache couldn't have seafood! poor me ><

http://valynlim.blogspot.com/2009/05/dragon-i-buffet-raya-sayang-hotel.html

Popular Posts